Wednesday 23 March 2016

About me & "Just ME"

This post was first published on Chronic Illness Bloggers.  Re-posted here with permission. Original post can be viewed here.

Blogger of the Week: Sally Burch at ‘Just ME’

Each week we are highlighting a different Chronic Illness Bloggers’ member as our ‘Blogger of the Week‘. As well as getting to know each other better, we hope that you enjoy this series and that you find the interviews with each member to be insightful and helpful.

This week our blogger of the week is Sally Burch of Just ME.

1. Tell us a little about yourself.
Prior to illness onset in March 2012 I was a biology lecturer living on an organic small-holding with my husband and our four children. We often hosted foreign Help Exchange visitors who helped with the animals, garden and house in exchange for their keep and some sight-seeing. All that stopped abruptly when I became suddenly unable to work and increasingly incapacitated by ME – myalgic encephalomyelitis. Sadly it is a very misunderstood illness and often portrayed in the media as if it were not serious.

2. What is your blog called and how do you define your blog’s purpose?
My blog is called“Just ME” because often people perceive ME to be “just” about tiredness, but also because the blog is really “just” a collection of my opinions. Mostly I see my blog as a means of sharing information about ME with others. I try to write about the type of things those newly ill with ME need to know. I also use my blog to help with campaigns, to report on local events, and to give my opinion on current ME issues.

3. How long have you been blogging and why did you start?
I started my blog in December 2013 after being ill for almost 2 years. I realised that I was writing some lengthy opinion pieces on forums and on Facebook, and that they then got lost in cyberspace. I felt that a blog would be a good place to record some of those opinions so that I could find them again if I later wanted to share the ideas with others.

4. How often do you post? What made you decide to post on this schedule?
I don’t post to a schedule. I write only when I have something to say. However I can be a bit opinionated (perhaps a foible of being a teacher, and a mother) so my blog still gets 40 – 50 posts each year. Not quite one a week, and not always evenly spread across the months of the year.

5. Do you feel blogging has benefitted you? If so, how?
Very much so. At a time when my physical abilities were being stripped from me, I found that having a voice through my blog really helped me to believe that I could contribute something useful to the world. I also met other bloggers online and found strength in the community I found there.

6. Why do you feel it’s important to blog about chronic illness?
Many might say that blogging about chronic illness is about raising awareness beyond the circles of the chronically ill, but I don’t see that as my main purpose in blogging. My blog speaks mostly to those who are themselves ill, and discusses ways of coping, and what we can do to change the way our illness is treated by both medical professionals and society at large. However, despite not really writing for the general population, I know that some of my posts have been circulated beyond ME circles, and so perhaps they have had an awareness raising influence, and of course I am pleased about that.

7. What are your top 3 blogging tips for other bloggers?
1. Write about what you are passionate about: if it doesn’t really matter to you – don’t write about it.
2. Write about one concept at a time and distill your thoughts so that you are succinct. Often a first draft is too long.
3. Always include a unique image in each post, so that when your post is shared online people will notice the post as new.

If you are a current member and would like to participate in this series and have your blog featured, please click here to fill out the submission form.


*********
If you are interested to know more about Chronic Illness Bloggers please follow this link.



6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on being featured - I even learned something about you. I didn't realize you were a relatively recent victim of our shared illness. I hope some of the research that's going on about being able to do something if you haven't had this forever might help you; me, too long now.

    Keep blogging - writing is good for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - I'm relatively new to ME. Sorry you have been afflicted longer. It seems so surreal that it is possible that this can go on and on with so little change. So many affected for so long, and so severely, and such resistance to giving us proper help from the channels that should be supporting us.

      Anyway you say though writing is good for the soul, and I'm optimistic that 2016 will bring good changes. xx

      Delete
  2. Hi Just ME Team,

    My name is Anuj Agarwal. I'm Founder of Feedspot.

    I would like to personally congratulate you as your blog Just ME has been selected by our panelist as one of the Top 50 CFS Blogs on the web.

    https://blog.feedspot.com/cfs_blogs/

    I personally give you a high-five and want to thank you for your contribution to this world. This is the most comprehensive list of Top 50 CFS Blogs on the internet and I’m honored to have you as part of this!

    Also, you have the honor of displaying the badge on your blog

    best,
    Anuj

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m reaching out to you in regards to an exciting new CFS/ME study that has just launched.
    We (at DxTerity) have designed a voluntary study of those living with CFS/ME with the goal to improve diagnostic tools and illness indicators. It’s our hope that, with only about 10% of people affected being formally diagnosed, we can improve the lives of those suffering from CFS and CFS/ME by getting them the diagnosis and proper treatment they need.

    We are aware you are an advocate in this space and have a large audience of people who could greatly impact the future of CFS/ME via The CHROME Study. Would you be interested in participating in the study and/or helping us recruit people by letting your followers know of the study and its potential impacts? If you’d like to participate yourself, you can enroll at the website below. If you might be interested in helping us promote, we would love to chat with you about it!

    Here’s some information for you while you mull this over:

    Study website (enroll here) – www.thechromestudy.com
    Parent company website – www.dxterity.com
    Facebook page – https://www.facebook.com/The-Chrome-Study-Shape-the-future-of-Chronic-Fatigue-Syndrome-from-home-104706865046304


    Thanks for considering us! We hope to hear from you soon.

    Best,
    Cara (and the entire CHROME Study team)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your thought. Useful information shared. I am very happy to read this article. Thanks for giving us nice info. Fantastic walk-through. I appreciate this post. multiple sclerosis icd10 This is a really good read for me. Must agree that you are one of the coolest blogger I ever saw. Thanks for posting this useful information. This was just what I was on looking for. I'll come back to this blog for sure!

    ReplyDelete